Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I HATE PAINT x NEW INSPIRATION x THOUGHTS

Painting is awful. Right now anyways, it is. I did awful on my 2D project. I wanted to do it differently but due to rules and lack of confidence I just couldn't do it. I want my project back soon so I can just do what I wanted with it. I'm just accepting what I did as an F but I need to have some fun with it and make it something I actually love. I'll likely use alot of colored pencil on top of what I've already done.

I've been really inspired by WES LANG as of late. My book project was definitely inspired by him and I want to keep exploring the style. His work resembles sketch book pages. It's kind of all over the place...but I would pay for his originals. It's different from most artwork we discuss in 2D or concepts, and different from what I hear others discussing. We all have different tastes, but I really love Wes Lang's work and I find it to be quite gorgeous. 


Wes definitely uses paint in his projects...I realize I said I hate paint....it's true.....I hate it. But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try getting better. I can use it well when I'm not being forced to paint specific things. If I can just play with it and allow myself to create, I think I could have some decent results. Just don't expect me to be painting a perfect orange. 

I'm just really frustrated in general right now. I'm kind of over everything and don't know what to do with myself or how to handle things at the moment. This semester has been okay....not looking forward to starting a new semester. I'm not doing well in a couple non-art classes and I'm trying hard to just pass. If I didn't NEED a degree I wouldn't be in college honestly. I just want the best for myself but it's hard to keep going sometimes...most of the times. As the semester has come closer to ending I feel myself slipping with my art/other work but for some reason I feel like I just can't do anything about it. Almost like I'm truly just not good enough. 

1 comment:

  1. Jesse -

    Once again, thank you for sharing.

    You claim not to like paint... I loved what you did in 2D. I thought it was successful. It was NOT an F. You are so hard on yourself. It is uncomfortable to try new things, but that is what art in college is about... exploration. You are not going to like it all - you may not enjoy painting the orange. The important part is taking the time to look, to really try to see the various colors. In the beginning, you all use generic "orange" paint because that is what you think the orange looks like. Once you really begin to slow down and look, you see the orange is MANY other hues - yellow-orange, yellow, light brown, apple green.... That is the point. I don't really care if it looks real. it will if you take the time to see for yourself.

    As for feeling over it - In school, you are forced to make - make - make... you have a right to feel burned-out. We have done a lot of art making in both classes, 11 projects plus a blog and sketchbook. It is wearing on you and on your peers. You over the mountain this term but still have ways to go.

    Please hang in there. Go see a movie/concert/something to get your mind off of things for a moment.

    As for the artist you have shown, I too like the sketchbook style. I have seen artists use this before, it stems from da Vinci's sketchbooks 9have you ever seen images of his sketckbooks?) Image and text... bold color. Also - Squeak Carnwarth, William Willey... taps into the subconscious in a way. You can totally explore this style for your artists book in 2D. I will give a theme to work with, but this is completely appropriate for this form.

    See you TH -

    KR

    ReplyDelete