Thursday, October 31, 2013

COSTUME PROJECT

Alright so I really enjoyed planning this project and was excited up until the past few days for the presentation day. But the last few days have been rough for me and it took all my enthusiasm away.

And then today when getting dressed for the presentation, my shirt with the hanging jewels was ALL TANGLED and I had to cut the strings and tape the jewels on. It looked so ghetto and I spent so much time making sure it was perfect. OF COURSE it got tangled and ruined. OF COURSE. I spent a few hours making sure each strand was even and the jewels were applied perfectly. I'm so mad they got tangled.

I don't really think anyone noticed or cared tho so it's whatever.

I think my mask worked well. It was inspired by Margiela masks (below)....originally I planned to apply jewels and make it more directly like what you see in the pics. However, I didn't have enough time and I'm making masks in my free time that will be used for my brand's photoshoots. I just need to figure out the pattern/shape of the fabric and overall just the technique I should be using.


Specifically for this project I was inspired and influenced by Kanye West's "Yeezus Tour" costumes. I hate that I keep referencing him for all my projects but it's just the way it's worked out I guess. Anyway....his costumes are incredible. From the masks down to the shoes....beautiful. He made the Margiela diamond masks famous amongst regular people like me. I had never seen anything even similar to the masks until he wore them. 

Below is a picture of me wearing my mask.


I was influenced by the mask worn by West on the top right, below...


Again I admittedly could've done way better with the mask but I think it accomplished what I needed it to. I used a piece of shiny fabric that I could see thru, as opposed to using mesh and jewels....that would've cost alot more money and used up alot of time. 

For the rest of my outfit I was also influenced by West's costume/outfit in the above picture on the right. My goal was create a holy-esque but creepy character. I wanted to appear unapproachable. I wanted to look confident and demand attention. Intimidating. Like I said in class, I don't have any supreme self confidence(that others seem to think I have, I've learned recently). I think my ideas are good....but can ----I--- make my ideas reality? I doubt myself. I get down on myself. But my costume made me appear like....F*** everyone I'm shining and I have chains on and it looks totally un-earthly.......I don't have an "F***" anyone personality at all.....but this was supposed to show an alter ego in many ways. 

Many people approached this as a typical COSTUME. Like a Halloween costume. Or a costume for a play....and that's totally awesome. I really loved alot of people's costumes. There were very very very very few people's projects that I didn't completely love. But anyway...I approached this project as a fashion project, in costume form. It obviously wasn't something I or anyone would wear out in public....but it WAS an exaggeration of what someone might wear. I may wear a couple chains, but not 10 like I had on. I would wear a nice long coat, but not that long and I wouldn't wear it in the exact way that I did.....and obviously people may call the cops if I show up at McDonald's wearing a mask.

Colors I chose (navy, black, silver) simply looked good together...and the navy played to my skin tone better than all black would've. 

I just wish I could've had more time with this project. I have ideas NOW that I wish I could've executed. Like I said, I will be making more masks and I'll be sure to show you. 

Below is an image of my sketch(in my sketchbook) of my costume. I think I matched it pretty well.


No comments:

Post a Comment